There comes a time in every fledgling author’s life when they realize they need an editor. No matter how focused, talented, or knowledgeable you may be, there is an inherent mental bias when you try to edit your own works. Your mind knows what you intended to write, your intentions on theme and action, and your mind tends to fix the mistakes you made on the page based on its knowledge.
The next thing that fledgling author realizes right after that is that professional editing can be an expensive proposition. I know I realized it! So, after nearly a hundred critical reviews and a lot of positive feedback from authors I have helped through them, I figured it was time to take it to the next level.
That’s right, my literary foodies! I have opened the doors of Starving Author LLC to open a Starving Editor division. I hope to provide quality discount editing services for other Starving Authors out there. So, without further ado, let’s talk about what I have to offer:
- My primary service includes developmental editing, content editing, and line editing. I will also do a proofreading pass as well. To explain all the editor jargon for the uninitiated:
- Developmental editing is really just fancy beta reading. I read your manuscript and provide broad advice on the plot, characters, etc.
- Content editing is the next degree of focus past developmental. I will provide a detailed document listing any issues with the piece I find, as well as comments in-document pointing out specific passages that are either noteworthy or problematic.
- Line editing is a line-by-line read-over of your work (done after developmental and content editing), searching for the minute issues, like minor continuity errors, dialogue that is a smidge off, and extraneous lines.
- Proofreading is the mechanical bits. Spelling errors, repeated words, punctuation cross-ups, and general grammar are the order of the day here.
- The cost of the service is on a sliding scale based on an initial 2000 word sample provided by you, the lovely author. This sample will get a full edit, as well, so you win even if you don’t continue on with a full editing job!
- Developmental editing is included for free with any other service, as is proofreading, so lots of bonus for you!
- The full monty (content plus line editing) costs $.003 USD to $.006 USD per word.
- Content editing alone costs $.001 USD to $.002 USD per word.
- Line editing alone (something I HIGHLY DISSUADE AGAINST) costs $.002 USD to $.004 USD per word.
- ALL PAYMENT IS NEGOTIABLE! I can’t stress this enough. I will do what I can to work within your financial situations. Most commonly, this is best done by scheduling payments as opposed to asking for the lump sum upfront, though rates can also be adjusted, among other things.
- CONTACT me with your proposals via e-mail (email@example.com).
- Preferably, payments should be made through PayPal, though other options can be explored if needed.
So, the kitchen is open! Come on down! If you have additional questions or comments, feel free to e-mail me or comment below!