I am currently accepting VERY few submissions. Factors that can increase your chances of grabbing a slot revolve around your professionalism, your wit, your passion, and the pitch you can present for your book. I love interesting, fascinating, and creative works written by passionate authors so if you can get that across to me, you have a shot at a review!
I’ve been blogging for some months now since I first published the first edition of my first indie book. Originally, it was supposed to serve a purely selfish purpose: to get people to buy my books. The problem was two-fold. First, I suck at self-promotion. Second, I suck MORE at being selfish.
While I still shill my own books here, I have taken to the majority of my blogging being about writing and suggestions of ways to write better, as well as analysis of writing tropes. That wasn’t enough though. I felt like I had to give more, especially when I found out there was a whole community dedicated to reviewing the books that went past the notice of the big reviewers out there.
So here we are. Starving Reviews, reviews from one starving author for his fellows.
Now, as a writer myself, I am not made of time. Or Snickers. Mmm, Snicker man, I eat your choc – er. Sorry. So there will only be so many books I can review. My typical read time is probably about a week per book. If I take your request, I’ll try to give you an estimated ‘Time to Review’.
Let’s get some guidelines out of the way:
- I will review ANYTHING. Well, anything that isn’t non-fiction and isn’t straight out porn. Not that there’s anything against those two things, but they aren’t my bag, baby.
- It must be a finished AND released book. I don’t care the means of publishing, just that you had the courage to put it out there. I respect courage.
- If the book is part of a series, please submit the first book of that series for review. I won’t read things out of order because that gives me indigestion.
- I am a starving author, which means any copies for review must be gifted to me in some fashion. To quote a great reviewer of other media, GOT ANY CHANGE? *rattles cup*
- With all of that said, please send your request to me as an E-MAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include in your e-mail the book’s title, author, genre, a brief blurb or synopsis, and as many links as you think relevant, especially Goodreads.
- Do NOT include a copy of the book in your initial query. Hunger has made my mind addled and I find it hard to keep things that I don’t actually need safe and organized. I might eat it, after all.
- I thought this would be obvious but to have it said: I *will* post the review in all relevant places. If you don’t want your book review to be posted after I finish, don’t send it to me to review.
With all of that out of the way, I will try to respond to any request within 24 hours. If you haven’t gotten word back from me after a week, feel free to resend your request (either the internet or I ate it on accident).
My system of ratings is both simple and complex at the same time. I will be using a basic 5 star system so as to be most compatible with other review sites I will try my best to cross-post too. One star means that the book was practically unreadable and was unfinishable by me, two stars means the book was readable but poor, three stars means a solid, enjoyable read, four stars means I highly enjoyed the book and would recommend it, a five star book means I loved the book and by damn you better be writing more of the series/more books in general.
However, a particular IMPORTANT nuance is that I will do my very best to try to filter my review though the expectations of a fan of the book’s genre. What does that mean? I won’t review a space opera book on the same criteria as a hard sci-fi book. A Silver Age campy superhero book won’t be judged on the same points as a crunchy homage to the ’90s anti-hero.
One final thing. I have one *ahem* special rating, reserved for anyone who submits a book without following the cardinal rule of ‘must be released’. I *will* post a very brief review of such a book with a rating of ‘No Guts‘. If you can’t live by the most important virtue of the author and won’t have the determination to release your works before asking for a review, I have no lack of that same thing to show case that to my followers.
If you have any questions about the process or how to submit, please ask in the comments below or e-mail me directly. I don’t bite unless you smell like ham or cookies. If you’re looking for more resources for indie books and reviews, check out The Indie View and The Book Review Directory.